Friday, November 6, 2009

Bake-Off

Tonight we participated in a bake off with the home school group. Bella made vanilla cupcakes from scratch and got the idea to decorate them like popcorn, from our "Hello Cupcake" book. She did most of the preparation herself. Joe Bug on the other hand, made my Apple Cheese Crumble Pie. I helped him out a lot. The recipe for the pie is on the bottom of the page. 


Guess who got a ribbon? Joe Bug! Needless to say, Bella was upset!

Here's pics of each, I know the Apple Pie pic is horrible.  Wish I had taken one at home. :(





























Apple Cheese Crumble Pie

Pie Crust
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon
¾ Crisco vegetable shortening
4-8 Tablespoons ice cold water
Blend flour and salt together. Cut in shortening, until pea sized pieces are formed. Add water one Tablespoon at a time, until dough forms. Roll dough out. Place in pie dish. Crinkle top.
Pie Filling
4 cups baking apples, peeled, cored, and sliced (about 6 medium apples)
2/3 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons flour
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
.
Put apples in bowl. Mix sugar, flour and cinnamon together. Blend together with apples. Pour into pie shell
Cheese Crumble
½ cup flour
¼ cup butter (1 stick)
¼ cup brown sugar
2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Blend flour, butter, and cheese together. Cut in butter. Pour over apples.
Bake at 375*F for 1 hour or until browned.

2 comments:

Denise said...

I love the idea of a homeschool group bake-off! It looks like both of your children did a great job.

I just wanted to say hi. I've seen your comments on Stacy's blog, so I came here to visit yours. I especially loved your description of your town and your joke about Fargo! I lived in ND for a few years and I could definitely relate to the description of your town. ND is a place like no other! :)

Denise

MrsMomma said...

Those popcorn cupcakes look like the real thing! Excellent decorating!

The apple cheese crumble pie is making my mouth water...

All looks so yummy!