Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Have you voted yet

I asked my dear friend C~ to interview me for my campaign.  :)  Instead of just interviewing me, she has written this beautiful intoduction about me.  Words can't express how much I love C~ and her family.  She lives in TX and was ALWAYS there to help me and my family out!  I'm so grateful for our meeting. 




************************************************************************
WiredSafety.org says, "NEVER agree to meet someone you have only met online unless you have a mutual friend that could possibly vouch for them."






In 2004*, I broke that rule. I was innocently perusing an online homeschool support forum that I spent way too much time on. A lady wanted to know if there was anyone in the miniscule town next to us. I was so shocked, I answered in the affirmative. The next thing I knew I was inviting the lady and her family to a minor league baseball game. An event I will never forget as long as I live. If I end up with dementia at 98, I will be apologizing to Mrs. Bobbi for bringing the wrong tickets with me.






That fall, we joined a local homeschool co-op together. Over the years, I have grown to love this generous, funny lady and her family. She loves to cook and entertain and she is not shy with her opinions. Which brings me to the purpose of this post. She has been nominated in the "Best Current Events, Politics or Opinions" category of the annual Home School Blog Awards.


Wouldn't you like to get to know her? Now, you can. Here is my interview with her.






Tell us about yourself.


My name is Bobbi. I am a christian homeschooling mom and wife. I've been married to my giving husband for 23 years. We have 3 loving children. DD-22, DS-13, DD-12. Family is extremely important to me. We travel around a great deal with dh's job, together as a family, because it's that important to me to be together.






When did you start homeschooling?


I officially started homeschooling my oldest in 1992. She was in a Christian school, and I was her Kindergarten teacher. After she completed her first year, we began to homeschool.






Why did you decide to homeschool?


Dh and I knew we didn't want our dd in public school. We were going to a church that had a christian school. I asked the pastor about homeschooling. He was looking for a Kindergarten teacher, so I started there. At the end of the school year, through a series of events we decided homeschooling would be best.






Tell us about the name of your blog.


The name of my blog is Great Adventures II. It's named after Steven Curtis Chapman's song "Great Adventure". Life with JESUS is a greatest journey (adventure) the human heart can go through! In addition, we travel frequently with dh's job, moving from location to location. It fits perfect! I hope that I reflect JESUS in most of my posts and point the reader to HIM. :)






Why do you think you were nominated for the political/opinion category of the HSB Awards?


:) Honestly, I have no idea why, other than I like to express my convictions with others. I can think of other categories that I probably would have fit in better. Apparently, those that nominated me, thought I was deserving of the nomination. And well I can be quite opinionated...but I think almost anyone is!






And since you are being recognized as an opinionated homeschooler, what is your opinion on homeschooling?


My opinion on homeschooling is similar to my opinion of life! It's one of the greatest journeys that a family can adventure out on. I believe that the BIBLE is the infallable word of GOD, and because of that, I'm convinced that We are to "train our children in the way the should go" (Proverbs 22:6) and "And thou shalt teach them (God’s Statutes) diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up." (Deut. 6:6-7, 11:19)






The best advice I can give to any homeschooler is some of the best advice that some of my dear sisters in the LORD and fellow homeschool moms gave me. That is...


1. When my children go to Heaven and stand before the LORD, HE isn't going to ask them, "What did you make in English, etc?" HE's going to ask them, "What did you do for ME?" I want to know that they can pass that test with flying colors! :)






2. If your child/ren can read they have the ability to learn anything.






In addition, remember "All things are possible with GOD" (Matthew 19:26) and "I (You) can do all things through CHRIST which strengthens me." (Philipians 4:13)






Some of my favorite homeschool resources are:


1. the internet of course!


2. http://www.pearables.com/truth_about.htm


3. www.moorefoundation.com/


4. Cynthia Tobias' site http://applest.com/


5. life :)






Any Accomplishments/Mistakes you'd like to share:


My greatest accomplishment so far, is my oldest daughter graduated from homeschooling. Although, I would say some mistakes, I feel have been trying to do traditional school. I think that many homeschoolers start out this way, because they were psed kids and haven't thought outside of the box yet. I made that mistake to some degree too. Over the past 17 years, I realize homeschooling isn't just about reading and writing. It's experiencing all kinds of things-traveling, field trips, cooking, daily chores, etc.






Any Likes/Dislikes you'd like to share:


I love spending time with my kids! My only dislike I have to admit is, scoring school work! :P






Blessings until next time!
*Actually it was May of 2003  :P

0 comments: