Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Hannah Montana Exposed...

Well...if you watch or listen to any kind of news, you've probably heard the big hipe about Hannah Montana, aka Miley Cyrus. She did a somewhat sultry layout for Vanity Fair magazine.
Having a daughter that watches the Disney show "Hannah Montana", I was somewhat disappointed and sad from the current events. On the otherhand, I think this a great opportunity not only to teach my dear, sweet, innocent daughter some very important values/morals.


My dd looked up to Miley...she was very disappointed by her actions and said, "I'm not going to watch her show anymore. I don't like her anymore." Then she wrote a letter saying something about how she was a fan, and now she doesn't like her anymore. My response was..."You're really disappointed in her choices aren't you? But that doesn't mean you have to stop watching her show. If she continues in this behavior I think you should, but remember we all make mistakes. We shouldn't judge her and decide we don't like her. We need to pray that she will be sorry and ask GOD for forgiveness and that GOD will send people in her path to teach her the truth, HIS TRUTH. Instead, how about if we write a letter saying something like...I really like you, but I'm really disappointed in your choices, and I hope you won't continue down that path. I will be praying for you."

I'm sure there's quite a few people that can't believe that I let my dd watch this show anyhow. I watch it with her and if there's anything I find questionable on it, we talk about it. Why shouldn't we let this be a learning opportunity just like anything else in life? (mind you within guidelines)

I think this has been a great opportunity to teach my dd who she is really suppose to look up to. It's also a great opportunity to show her everyone makes mistakes, bad choices in his or her life...I will be looking forward to see how this situation plays out in Miley Cyrus' life...If she will continue down this sad path or realize this was a bad choice. I think it will be a continuing lesson for my dd on good or bad, GODLY or GODLY choices....and I like that!!! It's also a great opportunity to remind my dd that we live in a lost world and it's so important to lift those that don't know HIM in prayer and to be an example of HIS love!

Blessings until next time!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

my understanding about the layout was that she was coerced and lied to about what the pictures would be after her father had left the set.

IMO the fault lies with her father for leaving the set and Vanity Fair for using her.

Anonymous said...

I think you dealt with that very wisely. Contrary to what Christy said, I read everything was approved both by Miley and her parents. Who knows?

Susan said...

You sound like a very wise mother!
Susan

marky said...

Life is full of those teaching moments!

Anonymous said...

*gasp* You let her watch WHAT? *grin*

Fifi said...

You handled that well Mom! I totally agree with you!

Stacey said...

I like to use things like this to teach my daughter as well. I think it's hard to teach some lessons if they have no idea what you are talking about, KWIM? Good job, Mom. :)
Stacey