Thursday, June 24, 2010

Movie Reviews and Convictions

Thought I'd give a post of some recent movies we've seen at the theater and on DVD.

Last night we saw "Toy Story 3" at the theater in 3D.  It was bittersweet.  I cried most of my mascara off.  I had heard it was better than both the first and second ones.  I'm not sure I agree.  It's basically the same story.  The toys have to make their way back to Andy, except this time Andy is on his way off to college.  I don't want to give too much of the movie away.  It's a great family movie, but bring lots of tissues if you're sensitive to your kids growing up.  ;)

We rented "The Spy Next Door" with Jackie Chan from Redbox.  I really enjoyed this movie.  Family friendly, adventure, laughs.  If you enjoyed "The Pacifier", you'll enjoy this one!

We got rid of our Dish satelite so we've joined Netflix again.  We've been renting some older movies that we haven't seen in awhile.  We rented  "The Out of Towners" with Jack Lemmon and also "The Trouble with Angels"  with Hayley Mills.  I would not recommend these for younger impressionable kids.  Now that my kids are older they enjoyed both. 

I know every family is different on what they allow or don't allow in their home.  We are fairly liberal with our movie selections and usually talk about why or why not something in a movie is appropriate to GOD's WORD or not.  I've learned over the years, we all have different convictions, and what maybe one family's convictions may not be our family's convictions, and not to judge those that have different convictions than our family.  It's all a matter of growing in GOD's grace. 

Thought I'd add this after writing that last paragraph.

This is from my old blog...but I consider it note worthy, so I thought I'd post it again...



I know a dear, sweet, precious lady. Everytime I'm around her I leave thinking, "I need to be more like her"...


While I was cleaning the kid's bathroom...I started thinking about this...


Other people's convictions may not be YOUR convictions from GOD. When we allow other people's convictions become our own we could actually be putting ourselves in bondage and become legalist and religious. All things JESUS came to set us free from. I'm not saying that someone's conviction is wrong for them-if GOD told them to do/not do something. But it is wrong for me to assume that that conviction should become my conviction, unless GOD tells me do/not do something.


It's taken me a long time to understand this. I would hear preachers, pastors, etc. and I then thought well I need to do this or that...I would get so upset...I would allow his conviction to become my conviction and I would become miserable! I would become depressed and angry and in turn I was putting myself into bondage. Who was I angry with? GOD? He never told me to let that become my conviction. MYSELF? Was I angry because it was something I didn't want to give up? If I were really suppose to give it up why was it so hard? GOD's WORD says "My yoke is easy and my burden is light." OTHERS? Was I angry at others because they made me feel condemned? There is no condemation for those that are in CHRIST JESUS. What was I doing? I was actually being condemned by the devil is what was taking place and then I would fall into sin because I was angry and depressed.


I'm still learning, but over the years I'm beginning to slowly grow and understand. What a great feeling not to be bound. We are free in JESUS! We are not bound by other people's convictions, only those GOD lays on our heart! What a blessing!

Blessings until next time!

2 comments:

Nichole "Nikki" Warren said...

That's so cool to know that Red Box is in your area. We have several of them around here, haven't rented a movie from them, but DH came home recently and told me that the company that he works does the Red Box software. :) I know that means nothing really.... LOL

Susan said...

We are not movie watchers much, except for taking the grandkids to a special one ever so often.

Totally agree with you about not judging others and what they do.