Friday, November 14, 2008

Influential People

For the past couple days I've been pondering about writing this post. I thought I would share some of the people/thoughts that have influenced my walk with the LORD. I thought you might be inspired or think about things and people that have influenced your walk too.

Pastor Hallam-our pastor in the Houston area for several years. When I look in his beautiful blue eyes, I truly see the love and compassion of JESUS, like no one I've ever met before. He absolutely practices what he preaches. One of the key things that he taught me...and this is funny, because actually, I wasn't even in the service. I was in the nursery the night he shared it and I got a copy of the service afterwards. We were going through a really rough time. DH was painting his parent's home in the country about 2 hours away. I was going to drive there after service. I listened to Pastor's teaching on the way. I listened to over and over and over again...
Pastor said, "Faith comes by hearing and hearing the WORD of GOD. Sometimes you have to hear yourself speak the WORD outloud so that you can hear it and it can get down into your spirit man." It made total sense to me...

Tiz Huch, Larry Huch's wife-One time I was at a Women's Conference at our church and Tiz Huch said, "Did you know in the average person's lifetime, they have the ability to influence approximately 10,000 people?" WOW! Now wouldn't it be nice it they were all good ones? ;P I like to say that to the grocery clerk when checking out. It often brings a smile to his/her face and has brought on some pretty interesting conversations.

Jesse DuPlantis-"Doubt the devil's doubt" I love this!!! Think about it...when we doubt his doubt, we are using faith!!!

Jerry Savelle-"When you've done all to do, STAND!" I've heard and done this one more than once! What does that mean? It means, when you've done all you can do in the natural and in the spiritual, wait on GOD! (Look at Ephesians 6:13) You've put on your armor, you've done what you can do to follow and obey, now STAND. (sometimes this one takes awhile to sink in) It was funny, because Bro. Jerry use to get on an outfit that represented the whole armor of GOD and he had arrows all stuck in his armor, but they didn't go through the armor...it was funny to look at...and always made people laugh.

Rachel Burchfield-I saw her speak at the same Women's Conference as Tiz Huch. She was sharing a story about how to give thanks in all things. She would be cleaning her kids/dh's muddy shoes and socks up for the umteenth time. She said she would gripe, and then one day the LORD convicted her and she started praising HIM. She would pick up the item, and then started singing and praising something like, "LORD thank you for my son's two healthy legs and feet" She really put things into perceptive. She had such a delightful disposition. Now if I can only put this into practice more often. ;P

These are just a few of many people/things that have influenced my walk with the LORD over the past several years. These are some off the top of my head. I've been so blessed by these words and examples. These spiritual mentors -'m so thankful to all of them. My life has been forever changed because of their example of JESUS in their own lives. I hope that I can be that same kind of example.

Blessings until next time!


5 comments:

Susan said...

Loved this post. A little familiar with Pastor Hallam. In fact we just had a 3 service revival and the evangelist is from his church. Ran*dy Ca*ld*we*ll. Do you know him? He was great!!

We have a series of tapes of Hallam about finances which we purchased in about 1998.

I have another good saying you might like: "Doubt your doubts and believe your beliefs".
Susan

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing these. You always have such good things to say, right when I need to hear them.
Bless you!!!
love ya',
Rosemary

Doodlebugs said...

If I were to have posted this I would have also put Angela Hallam.

Susan said...

Hi Bobbi, I just passed the Uber Award along. Come and see who I chose.
Susan

Anonymous said...

*LOL* I love Jesse and Jerry!! I find Jesse especially fun to watch and listen to!

It's times like these that I sure do miss living in Texas!

Vicki